Fire broke out on Sunday at the National Centre for Women Development at the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.
According to the General Manager (Facilities) of the centre, Alhaji Idris Madob, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria the inferno started at the generator house at 5.55 p.m. adding that no casualty was recorded.
Madob said the generator house was completely razed by the fire, sparked by a power surge in the electrical panel.
It took the intervention of fire fighters who got to the scene five minutes after the incident started to contain the inferno.
The Controller of the FCT Fire Service, Mr Julius Opetunsi, and the spokesman of the Federal Fire Service, Mr Collins Elechi, confirmed the incident but could not immediately give an assessment of the damage.