It’s not a news anymore that plastic rice has found its ways into Nigeria. Yesterday, custom officials intercepted 102 bags of plastic rice in Lagos. Don’t Panic! These are the very simple and easy ways you can try at home to Identify fake rice. You do not need any chemicals while testing the plastic rice.
5 Ways to Identify Plastic Rice
1. The Water Test: Take a glass of water, drop a table spoon of raw rice inside it and stir. If what you have is the plastic rice it will float at the top but if the rice goes to the bottom, it is the real thing, good for eating.
2. The Fire Test: Knowing what plastic smells like, take a hand-full of rice and burn it using match or lighter. If the rice is made with plastic, it will certainly release the plastic smell.
3. Boiling Test: Closely observe the rice while boiling it. If it contains plastic rice it will start forming a thick layer at the top of the pot.
4. The Fungus Test: After boiling the rice, put some of it in a bottle and leave for 2-3 days. If mold does not appear in a few days, your rice is fake and should not be consumed. It will not grow mold because plastic is not affected by weather or season. Plastic remains plastic.
5. Hot Oil Test: Just take some rice and drop into some very hot oil. If it’s plastic rice, it will melt and stick together a the bottom of the pot.